Trump Confirms Dismissals of Certain National Security Council Staff
“We will consistently part ways with individuals we do not favor, or those we believe are not fulfilling their roles,” Trump stated to reporters.
On April 3, President Donald Trump confirmed that several staff members at the National Security Council had been recently dismissed.
During a conversation with reporters outside Air Force One, Trump was questioned about the reasons behind the firings at the council.
“We will always part ways with individuals we do not favor, or those whom we believe are not doing their jobs, or who may have loyalties to others,” Trump explained.
“That will always be the case.”
The president also refuted claims from the media suggesting that right-wing activist Laura Loomer had played a role in the firing decisions. Unnamed sources had suggested that Loomer recommended these dismissals to Trump in a meeting the day prior.
“Out of respect for President @realDonaldTrump and the confidentiality of the Oval Office, I will refrain from sharing any specifics about my meeting with President Trump,” Loomer stated.
“I will continue to emphasize the importance of, and the necessity for STRONG VETTING, to protect the President of the United States and our national security.”
On April 3, Trump informed reporters that he had met with Loomer, who “makes recommendations about people and things, and at times I take those recommendations,” referring to her as a “very good patriot.”
“She has suggested certain individuals for positions,” Trump noted.
A reporter inquired if she had also advised him to remove people from his administration.
“Well, she will recommend that as well,” Trump answered, reiterating that Loomer had provided hiring suggestions.
Trump denied that Loomer had made any recommendations concerning the firing of National Security Council staffers, and he also refrained from mentioning who she proposed he hire.
“She’s recommended some excellent candidates over the years. She’s been part of the party for a long time. She’s done well,” Trump remarked.
The president expressed his confidence in his national security team. “We’ve performed admirably. We’ve achieved significant success with the Houthis.”
On Thursday, the National Security Council (NSC) opted not to comment on the situation.
“The NSC doesn’t comment on personal matters,” said NSC spokesman Brian Hughes in a statement to The Epoch Times.
The dismissals occurred one week after national security adviser Michael Waltz mistakenly included a journalist in a Signal chat group with senior Trump administration officials discussing plans for attacks on the Houthis in Yemen, a recognized terrorist organization.
“This issue has been resolved here at the White House,” Leavitt told reporters, without revealing any conclusions.
Zachary Stieber contributed to this report.