Family of Montreal Man Killed by Police in 2017 Reaches Settlement With City

Spread the love


Johanne Coriolan, left, a family member of Pierre Coriolan, and activists Wil Prosper, right, and Maguy Metellus attend a news conference in Montreal, Feb. 7, 2018. (The Canadian Press/Graham Hughes)

The family of a man shot dead by Montreal police has reached a settlement with the city in connection with a lawsuit they filed over his death.

Pierre Coriolan died on June 27, 2017, when police shot him after they responded to a disturbance call at his home.

A Quebec coroner’s report into Coriolan’s death released earlier this year said the police intervention reflected a lack of training among officers in dealing with people in crisis.

Six police officers responded to the call involving Coriolan, and their intervention lasted just over five minutes, with police using a stun gun, batons and rubber bullets before opening fire three times.

Coriolan’s two sisters sued the City of Montreal over his death, with a trial set to begin today.

The law firm representing the family says its clients were satisfied with the settlement and didn’t wish to comment further.

The Canadian Press

Follow



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.