Investigation Into Ottawa Horse Trampling Incident Closed as Injury Deemed Not Serious

Spread the love

The woman that was knocked down by mounted police during the Freedom Convoy protest in Ottawa was not seriously injured, said Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) on April 4, hence closing its investigation of the matter.

The SIU said in a press release the decision to terminate the investigation was made after interviewing the woman, Candice Sero, reviewing police drone and body-worn camera footage, as well as Sero’s medical records.

On Feb. 18, a large police force moved in to clear the site of the Ottawa protest that had been in place since Jan. 29, including hundreds of trucks parked in the streets of downtown calling for the end of COVID-19 restrictions.

As police were slowly pushing back non-violent protesters on Wellington Street, a mounted unit from the Toronto Police Service (TPS) made rounds in front of police lines to push back protesters.

Video footage from the event showed horses knocking down a man and Sero, and the SIU reported the event similarly.

The SIU said police officers then quickly surrounded Sero and she was assisted to her feet. She was then taken to Montfort Hospital and subsequently attended Lennox & Addington County General Hospital with shoulder pain on Feb. 20.

“A review of the available medical records indicates that the woman did not sustain any fractures and that her injury was limited to a strained shoulder,” says the SIU, and given the injury is not “serious,” it does not have authority to investigate.

Sero, a Mohawk from Tyendinaga territory, told Rebel News in an interview that she suffered a fractured collarbone and that she thinks “a couple” of officers kicked her while she was down and an officer dragged her off the premises by her coat.

“But I walked right on by [police] lines and walked back into safety—because outside of our circle it didn’t feel safe. When I was back in with the convoy I felt safe,” Sero said.

The SIU said the matter has now been referred to the TPS for further investigation “as they deem appropriate.”

Following the government’s invocation of the Emergencies Act on Feb. 14 to clear protests and blockades, law enforcement was able to speed up the swearing-in process to mobilize additional officers in Ottawa, and the measures provided them additional powers such as the ability to designate no-go zones, ban children from attending the protest, and compel towing companies to remove the trucks.

By the end of the weekend of Feb. 18, the protest had been completely removed and the public emergency was revoked on Feb. 23.

Noé Chartier


Noé Chartier is an Epoch Times reporter based in Montreal.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.